Writing Feature Articles:
we show you
how to write articles
editors love to publish
Editors can seem a grumpy lot.
But follow the tried and tested tips in our Writing Feature Articles course and you’ll see a big improvement in their mood.
Why? Because our one-day article writing course shows you exactly what draws an editor to an article and what drives them away. Our tutor, himself an experienced editor - though rarely grumpy - cuts straight to the key issues that can make or break your chances of being published.
He’ll talk you through the exact steps you must follow to make your words suitable for publication.
Bring along an article or two you've written and he’ll give you an expert critique of your writing. Where he identifies any flaws, he’ll tell you how to fix them.
Packed with practical advice, our Writing Feature Articles course provides clear guidance on how to write effectively for newspapers, magazines and journals, as well as for newsletters and ezines.
Using article reviews, interview coaching sessions and skill-building exercises, our tutor will show you how sound journalistic principles can be applied to every aspect of your article writing.
If you write for online media, he'll also talk you through the key principles of article SEO.
What you learn
In one intensive day he'll show you how to:
- tailor your writing to your target publications
- satisfy the needs of different editors
- identify the most suitable stories
- carry out efficient research
- create strong headlines and opening paragraphs
- capture and hold the reader’s attention
- breathe life into uninspiring material
- make your articles flow smoothly
- avoid classic mistakes that drive editors mad.
You'll also learn how to:
- add reader value to your articles
- edit your articles to make them publication ready
- conduct successful interviews
- use quotes effectively
- speed up the writing process
- optimise online articles for the search engines.
Above all you'll learn how to create professionally written articles that will bring a smile to any editor's face.
What you gain
By the end of the course you'll know how to plan, structure and write compelling feature articles for a wide range of publications.
You’ll have strategies for handling every stage of the process from developing the initial idea through to researching, writing and fine tuning your article for publication.
By following our guidelines you'll become a versatile feature writer, able to write:
- business articles
- travel articles
- PR articles
- newsletter articles
- newspaper and magazine articles
- online articles.
Who should attend
Writing Feature Articles is suitable for groups of two to six people. It is also available as a one-to-one master class.
You are most likely to benefit if you are:
- a staff journalist looking to enhance your feature writing skills
- a PR professional who needs to write articles on behalf of your clients
- a member of a corporate communications, marketing communications or employee communications team wishing to develop your skills as a feature writer
- an expert who wants to publicise your services by contributing articles to specialist publications
- a webmaster looking to promote your site by submitting articles to ezines, relevant websites or article directories.
We can run this course for you at our South London training centre or at your offices, anywhere in the UK or EU.
Our rates for a one-day course are:
| Number of people
|| Total cost
|| Cost per person
| 1 to 3
|| £210 to £630
All prices exclude VAT.
Please note: for courses run outside the UK we charge a minimum fee of £720.
For courses run at your offices, an additional fee may be charged to cover our trainer's travel expenses and, if necessary, overnight accommodation. Every effort will be made to keep these costs to an absolute minimum.
We also offer a two-day Writing Feature Articles course. For more details please call the number at the foot of this page.
Where we train
As a training provider based in the London Borough of Sutton we can run courses:
- at our South London training centre - in Carshalton, Surrey just half an hour from Central London
- at your offices - anywhere in the United Kingdom or the European Union.
Our trainers have worked in every region of the UK and in most major EU countries. They have helped to train hundreds of professionals from all sectors of the economy. That includes people from local and national government as well as from small, medium and large businesses.
If you are looking to develop your article writing skills, call us today and we will talk you through the options.
And finally . . .
At the end of the session we will issue you with an official course certificate to confirm you have attended.
We will also give you the trainer’s phone number and email address. This is a free service we offer. It allows you to contact the trainer, after the course, if you have any follow-up questions about what you have learned.
To learn more about our Writing Feature Articles course or to make a booking for you or your colleagues, please call: 020 8773 4718.
Or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
I’ve finished reading about your Writing Feature Articles course.
Please take me to the Strawberry Training home page