Write press releases
that get your stories
into the media
By following our simple rules you can write a press release that earns you valuable media coverage.
In one, highly interactive day we’ll show you how to inject new life into your release. You'll learn how to craft a story that print, broadcast and online media will want to cover.
Our trainer, himself an experienced editor, will give you an insider’s view of what editors are looking for when they read a press release.
He’ll highlight the classic mistakes that can kill your story and the simple steps you can take to increase your chances of success.
Before your eyes he will unpick a typical weak release and show how an experienced PR professional would rethink it and rewrite it, to make it more interesting to the media.
This is a highly tailored course.
To ensure it is relevant to your needs we speak to you before the training. By doing this we learn as much as we can about you and the challenges you face when writing releases.
This enables us to make more effective use of the day, concentrating on those topics that are likely to be of most value to you.
We also encourage you to bring along a sample of your writing. During the session, our trainer will offer a constructive critique of your work, highlighting its strengths and suggesting ways to address any weaknesses.
What you learn
Our trainer will adapt his course content to the needs of those attending. However, each session will definitely include clear guidance on how to:
- identify the most newsworthy element of your story
- plan and structure your release for maximum impact
- write an attention grabbing headline and opening paragraph
- avoid mistakes that can alienate journalists
- create powerful quotes that boost the value of your release
- use the editors notes to strengthen the appeal of your release
- crank up the power of your story by exploiting our invaluable ideas checklist.
In addition, he will highlight:
- two key principles you must follow to make it harder for journalists to reject your story
- three challenges press release writers face and how to address them
- clever strategies PR experts use to boost the news value of a story
- a vital rule of thumb which underpins all press releases and which too many writers overlook
- stories that work well in the mainstream press and those that are unlikely to do so
- a handy checklist that ensures your release is professionally written from start to finish.
What you gain
This course gives you the tools you need to write powerful and compelling releases.
You'll acquire essential writing tips that will boost the readability and news value of your story, making it more attractive to journalists.
Above all, you’ll learn how to employ the same techniques that experienced PR professionals use to gain coverage for their clients across newspapers, magazines, TV, radio and the internet.
Who should attend
Our How To Write A Press Release course is suitable for groups of two to six people. A one-to-one master class is also available.
We particularly recommend this course if any of the following apply:
- you work in PR or marketing communications and would like to develop your skills as a press release writer
- you have already written some press releases but still feel there is room for improvement
- you're a copywriter who knows how to write promotional copy, but wants to extend your skillset to press releases
- you have lots of good stories to tell about your business, but are unsure how to turn them into effective news releases
- you run an online business and want to know how to write releases that will promote your activities through the press.
We can run this for you at our South London training centre or at your offices, anywhere in the UK or EU.
Our rates for a one-day course are:
| Number of people
|| Total cost
|| Cost per person
| 1 to 3
|| £210 to £630
All prices exclude VAT.
Please note: for courses run outside the UK we charge a minimum fee of £720.
For courses run at your offices, an additional fee may be charged to cover our trainer's travel expenses and, if necessary, overnight accommodation. Every effort will be made to keep these costs to an absolute minimum.
We also offer a two-day course on How To Write A Press Release. For more details please call the number below.
Where we train
As a bespoke training provider based in the London Borough of Sutton we run courses:
- at our South London training centre - in Carshalton, Surrey, just 30 minutes from Central London
- at your offices - anywhere in the United Kingdom or the European Union.
Our trainers have worked in every region of the UK and in most major EU countries. They have helped to train hundreds of professionals from all sectors of the economy. That includes people from local and national government as well as from small, medium and large businesses.
If you are looking to develop your press release writing skills or those of your colleagues, call us today and we will talk you through the options.
Other writing courses for PR professionals
If you work in public relations, we run a number of other courses that might be of interest.
Each one is tailored to the needs of those attending. Whichever session you attend, there will be an opportunity for you to have your work constructively critiqued by one of our expert trainers.
To learn more, please follow the links below. Courses that might be of interest to you include:
For more about our How To Write A Press Release course, or to make a booking, please call: 020 8773 4718.
You can also email: email@example.com
I’ve read about How To Write A Press Release.
Now take me to the Strawberry Training home page.