How To Write
A Charity Newsletter
a one-day workshop
If you write a charity newsletter or magazine, it's fair to say you face several challenges.
These include how to:
- capture and hold your readers’ attention
- promote your charity and encourage successful fundraising
- create a professional publication within a tight budget.
And that still leaves the 101 other issues that can arise when you have to write or edit a charity newsletter.
Common problems faced by writers and editors
Our one day course has been specially designed to help you meet these challenges. It offers powerful solutions to the most common problems faced by writers and editors of charity newsletters.
When you leave the training room, you’ll take away scores of practical tips you can apply immediately to your own publication.
Our tutor is the former editor of the magazine of a major national charity. In the past few years he has run writing skills courses for more than 200 writers and editors employed by British charities.
As a result he is well aware of the kind of issues you face - issues he himself has had to address in his career as a professional journalist, working both in the charity sector and for the UK national press.
How to Write A Charity Newsletter is a highly tailored course. This ensures that every minute of training time is put to best possible use and the issues of most relevance to you are covered in some depth.
Before the course our tutor will speak to you to understand your needs and determine the areas in which you can benefit from further development.
He will also ask you to send him back copies of your newsletter or magazine.
Based on his conversation with you and his expert analysis of your publication, he will then design a course to match your requirements.
An important element of the training is the constructive feedback you will receive on your publication.
During the course our trainer will provide an in-depth assessment of your newsletter or magazine. This will include highlighting its positive aspects, while looking at areas where additional improvement is possible.
What you learn
Among other things our tutor will teach you how to:
- create a strong identity for your newsletter or magazine
- develop the right editorial policy
- adopt the most appropriate tone of voice
- identify the best news stories and features
- conduct research and interviews efficiently
- make your writing flow smoothly
- write attention grabbing headlines and opening paragraphs.
He will also show you how to:
- handle quotes effectively
- bring less-than-exciting subjects to life
- boost readability through typography and layout
- organise suitable photos and illustrations
- make best use of your contributors
- manage and promote your publication successfully
- adapt your publication for the web or an electronic format.
What you gain
By the end of the training you will have clear insights into how to write a charity newsletter, as well as how to handle your day-to-day editorial management duties.
Whether your newsletter, magazine or journal is paper-based or electronic, you will have the skills and knowledge to turn it into a high quality publication that will be a significant asset for your charity.
Who should attend
Our How To Write A Charity Newsletter course is suitable for groups of two to four people. It is also available as a one-to-one master class.
We recommend this course if:
- you are about to launch a charity newsletter
- you feel your current newsletter could do with a fresh approach
- you are a recently appointed charity newsletter editor looking for expert tips and best practices to get you off to a strong start
- you are a junior member of a charity newsletter editorial team seeking to develop your skills as a writer and editor
- you've been writing and editing your newsletter for a while, but still feel there is scope for improvement.
All prices exclude VAT. We offer two main options:
- one-to-one master class - £540
- group bookings for two to four people charged at the following rates:
| Number of people
|| Total cost
|| Cost per person
Please note: How to Write A Charity Newsletter is only available as an
'in-company' training course.
For courses outside the Greater London area an extra charge may be made to cover our trainer's travel expenses and, if necessary, overnight accommodation.
For courses outside the UK, we charge a minimum fee of £720.
We also offer a two-day course on How to Write A Charity Newsletter which covers this subject in even greater depth. Please call or email us for further details.
For more on our How To Write A Charity Newsletter course or to make a booking for you or your colleagues, please call: 020 8773 4718.
Alternatively, email: email@example.com
I’ve read about your How To Write A Charity Newsletter course.
Now please take me to the Strawberry Training home page